Monday, April 11, 2011

Just One Soul


Five years ago in a little town in Brazil called Itaípu I met the most beautiful little family. It was in fact the only family still intact (mom, dad and four kids) that I ever taught. We met them only a week after their youngest was born, and Valdenia, the mom, was looking for a new church. This family was golden...but it was a slow process. The biggest problem was Valdenia and Renato were not married. It was so expensive to get married, just basic marriage license, that it wasn't a priority for them. We taught this family for months and they had many question for us, but it seemed like nothing could speed up the process for them to get married. The hardest thing for me was when my mission ended and the closest I had ever gotten to seeing a whole family get baptized slipped away.
I heard from other Sisters that the family was still investigating the church. We got in touch with each other again, through email...and now because of Facebook we keep in touch more regularly. After a couple years, I heard that their oldest two daughters were baptized and they were all still investigating and attending church. The last couple of years they were still trying to save money to get married.

Yet the greatest thing happened, I just got a message from her today saying that they were married on Friday, Baptized on Saturday, and confirmed a member of the church on Sunday! She said that was all because of a seed that I planted in her heart five years ago, and that she would never forget me!
And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
I am so full of happiness right now that I can not sleep! I have often questioned why I served a mission, because all those I had seen get baptized while I was on my mission had fallen away and became inactive. I questioned if I wasted my time, and more so if I wasted the Lord's. But I feel the spirit so strongly tonight, and think of those words she said " all because of a seed you planted in my heart five years ago"...and I wonder, what if I had not answered my call to serve? Because we were there, and were willing to share the gospel this family has the opportunity to receive all the blessings of the priesthood and receive the ordinances so they can be seal together as a family. And again I want to shout! HOW GREAT SHALL BE YOUR JOY!! It's for this reason that I love sharing the gospel and I love sharing my testimony. You never know what kind of seeds you are planting along the way.

4 comments:

  1. What a great story! And you are right, we never know we can touch by sharing the gospel, even if we don't ever see that seed develope for many years. I'm sure this experience will be one that you won't ever forget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome Sarah. Believe me, I've questioned my mission before as well. But I think the day before I left my mission I heard of a family we had taught for months that was under some of the same circumstances and was finally able to get married shortly after I left Brazil. Those kinds of things totally make it all worth it! Way to go! I know MY life was made better for having met and served with you. So even if you hadn't heard about this family getting baptized, know that you did touch MY soul. Beijos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! Isn;t the Lord awesome!

    ReplyDelete