Monday, February 13, 2012

Elliot's Blessing

My great grandfather, James E. Harvey, was born in 1886. His mother hand crocheted a Christening gown for him by candle light in a dug out in Iowa. The christening gown was put into storage until my mother had her first baby and the gown was given to her. My grandmother helped my mom replace the damaged material in the exact replica of the original gown, saving all the original lace. This christening gown was then used to bless everyone of my siblings including my brother Heath. It is now a cherished family tradition. All but one of my neices and nephews were also blessed in the dress. Many of my cousin's and their children have also been blessed in it.

The christening gown is now 126 years old and has a lot of history to it. Many people initially question why a boy is wearing a dress to be blessed but it is such a fun family tradition that I hope Elliot will one day feel honored to have been a part of.


This is 3 generations, Elliot, Jed, his mother and grandfather.


I love the under slip almost more than the actual dress itself! The lace is so beautiful!

I was so worried for years watching my sister's bless their children in the dress...I got really possessive of the dress and wanted them to change their babies out of it the SECOND they were done being blessed...because I wanted to make sure that my children had the opportunity to be blessed in it.

Now I feel really bad because it was so fun to see Elliot in it that I wish I wouldn't have been so critical of them and I would have let them have their moment in the dress...Sorry you guys, especially Hilary!
Above Elliot is sitting in a little rocking chair that my grandmother gave me. It was her oldest sister's rocking chair who passed away as a young child. It is great to see Elliot surrounded by family history!
Jed was so great with Elliot and did a great job blessing him. I am very grateful to have a husband that has the priesthood, and he was able to perform that ordinance.

No comments:

Post a Comment