Monday, February 13, 2012

First Day Back to Work

Okay so today was my first day back to work...I need to set my alarm for an earlier time, or I will never make it on time. It was one big hot mess!

I woke up, got dress, started feeding Elliot and thinking to myself...this is not going to be so bad! I can do this! I called the day care provider, confirmed that we were coming today, and I was just finishing feeding Elliot then I'd be on my way. Well, once I finish feeding him, I decide I better pump because he didn't eat very long and now the stuff is like gold because I won't always be there to feed him on demand. After pumping I decide I had better eat myself otherwise I will be too hungry and you all know how important food is for milk production!

So, I get some breakfast and start packing up. I get the diaper bag put together, which I thought I was so cleaver because I did that the night before. I get the pump ready to take to work. I go to get the bottles out of the fridge to take the day care and realize I had written the dates on all the bottles with a dry erase marker...which I always intended on buying a real sharpie and writing over those dates. Except I forgot, and now all the lettering is wearing off! I rush around the house to try to find a marker, or tape or something to put the dates on it. I spend way too long trying to figure it out and finally just pack them up anyway. I have no idea how much he'll need so I through them all in.

Now I am hurrying thinking I am going to never make to work...I pick up Elliot just in time for him to have a massive explosion in his pants, this can not wait...I change him. I pass up packing a lunch because at this point I am much later than I want to be. I put Elliot in his car seat and he starts to scream, adding to my stress. I get my boots on and realize I left the lights on...take the boots off rush to turn off all the lights. Get my boots, coat and gloves on, pick up the pump, the lunch bag with Elliot's milk, the diaper bag, my purse, the extra pack of diapers to leave at the day care and finally pick up his car seat.

At this point Diane Keaton pops into my mind, you know Baby Boom...the one where she inherits a baby and tries to balance her successful business career and a baby. There is one particular scene where she is carrying all this baby stuff and trying to get a cab...that is what I feel like.

Well, once I get all this stuff in my arms, I manage to get through the door and lock it behind me. I take two steps and realize that the warm weather has turned our stairs in to an ice skating rink and it is incredibly slippery! I rush back inside to get my ice cleats--still trying to balance almost everything...until I realize that is impossible I drop everything, get my cleats on and finally get out the door again. I get to the car and realize that I don't have the address...I have been there a few times, I am just hoping I can make it with out any problems. I do.

We get inside and immediately all the kids go wild because there is a new baby and person who they can show off too. I am trying to explain what I have in the diaper bag to meet his needs, and then explain about the bottles with the lack of dates and name. Ms. N is so sweet to try and help get it figured out and we start to do the label machine to label them...until it runs out of 'sticker stuff'--meanwhile the other kids are going crazy and it's getting violent. Poor Elliot is now in Ms. N's arms and wide eyed with a look of desperation on his face. I don't think there is anything in this world that could have prepared him for what was about to happen! Finally after 25 minutes there we decide we've done all we can and I need to leave so Ms N can get things under control again. I left sweating from stress and so sad that I left Elliot---I would dread staying there...I was dreading staying as long as I had to! Heaven bless the day care providers I don't know how they do it!

Once I got to work it felt like I was never was such an odd feeling. I didn't get much done, except a zombie discussion about the walking dead. I got caught up with all my co-workers and the latest office drama about the new girl. I went to get lunch with my co-workers, talked about valentine's day, babies, weddings and school. I pumped a few times and felt incredibly awkward even though no one was is just weird. Overall, the day went quickly.

I rushed to go get Elliot and discovered that he was amazing for Ms N--all day he was good and only fussed a little bit, he smiled a lot an loved watching all of the kids play. He did soooo good right up until she handed him to me and immediately he cried and didn't stop until we go home and I could feed him. I don't know if I should be flattered by that or saddened that maybe he liked Ms N's place more than me.

But I survived the first day of being a working mom

....I am exhausted.


  1. Oh Sarah, poor girl! I'm sorry about the hectic first day! You'll have it all down pat in no time, it will be a breeze! Good luck on your second day! Cali

  2. I love that movie!! You are a strong woman and like everything else about being a mom it will all be easier with time, practice, and patience. Good Luck!

  3. I am sure as time goes by that it will get easier and better to get out the door on time. So glad Elliot did so well at daycare, that is such a great relief! And as a working mom myself, I know how crazy it can be so hang in there!

  4. PS loved that you had such a great trip to UT and LOVED the story of Elliot's blessing outfit. That is a great tradition.

  5. Wow, that sounds exhausting! Good luck! Hopefully it will get easier!

  6. You poor thing. I don't know how you do it! I'm pretty sure I couldn't. Good luck and keep your chin up! You're amazing and you can do anything!